KSR Architects originally converted the turn of the century Arts and Crafts nursing home on Hampstead’s Holford Road into three stunning homes in 2003. The property retains the appearance of a solid Victorian mansion, belying the contemporary and spacious under-garden basements beneath.
Each house has been equipped with swimming pool, steam room, gym and media room with specialist audio-visual and lighting control systems.
In the garden, extensive re-landscaping integrates large light-wells reflecting the light, airy outdoor feel created by Folio Design in the sunken spaces below.
One of the interiors brief was to create a relaxed, organic and colourful environment acknowledging time spent by one of the owners in Africa. Folio achieved this in Hampstead using a strong palette and materials such as cast, glass, stained glass and vibrant leathers.
- Specialist joinery using thick iroko timber and ornately patterned teak offer a visually dramatic spa feel throughout the pool and changing areas
- Clever lighting and generous floor to ceiling heights allow significant light into these below ground spaces generating a bright, expansive feel
- Christina Barbera of Polidori Barberahas created a stunning backdrop to one of the pools with a hand plastered feature wall symbolising the roots of existing trees in the Hampstead garden above
- Specially commissioned artwork, bespoke furnishings and verdant planting establish a strong relationship to the garden above
- Unusual finishes such as folded wallpaper and textured faux pony skin (which helps absorb reflections in the home cinema) add personality and character
- The same interior theme was also used to refresh the houses themselves, creating cohesion with the underground complexes